Since 2015, Global to Local has played a key role in facilitating Communities of Opportunity’s (COO) initiative to create greater racial, health, and economic equity in SeaTac and Tukwila. This initiative is a collaborative effort by King County, Seattle Foundation, and partners dedicated to advancing community-based priorities and shaping policies to promote racial equity.
COO has provided funding to help the SeaTac and Tukwila communities implement projects that contribute to better health, safe and affordable housing, economic opportunity, and stronger community connections. As the local lead agency for SeaTac and Tukwila, Global to Local: convenes community-based organizations to determine local priorities and strategies; manages contracts with partner organizations that implement projects to advance community priorities; and coordinates internal and external communications for the local initiative.
In past years, the COO initiative has supported Food Innovation Network’s food system revitalization work, Congolese Integration Network’s efforts to improve social connections and housing stability in the Congolese community, and our Community Health Workers’ physical health programs at affordable housing sites.
This year, six organizations are partnering to drive change in SeaTac and Tukwila with COO support:
- Congolese Integration Network
- Global to Local (and our Food Innovation Network program)
- Lutheran Community Services Northwest
- Partner in Employment
- Somali Health Board
- Somali Youth & Family Club
Building on the success of our past efforts, we are collectively working to:
- support workforce development, career pathways, and business incubation for immigrants and refugees;
- develop leadership workshops to empower community members to address local social, economic, and political issues;
- help community members register to vote and learn about the 2020 national census; and
- engage in problem-solving to prevent and mitigate the impacts of displacement of residents and local businesses.
- Visit the Communities of Opportunity website.
- Contact A.J. McClure to learn about the SeaTac/Tukwila Partnership: firstname.lastname@example.org or (206) 379-6051